Thursday, December 9, 2010

Dec. 8th vs Dec. 7th

Spoiler Alert! - this one is gonna be kinda rough

Every year, around this time, a friend of mine from college calls me . His Birthday is Dec. 7th and mine is Dec. 8th. So every year I call him on Dec. 7th and wish him a happy Pearl Harbor Day and he wishes me a happy John Lennon Assassination Day...

Now - I got into a debate over which day resinates the most in history...

Mathmatically Pearl Harbor is the Bigger Tragedy due to the number of casulties - I completely understand that... but taking the "number" of deaths out of it and just labeling them as "Days in which Death occurred" - I've been doing a basic survey over the last couple weeks. Result - more people believe that John Lennon's assassination is more tragic than Pearl Harbor.

I find this to be fascinating - the deciding factor comes down to a "pros/cons" list. The Pearl Harbor "Cons" are obvious - Not that there were many "pros" but most people feel as though if Pearl Harbor hadn't happened - America wouldn't have gotten involved in WWII and our country wouldn't be where it is today... that is a point listed in the "pros" column.

Which, at this point, is already 1 more "pro" than anyone could come up with for John Lennons assassination. Based on my research people see nothing but "Con's" when it comes to the death of John Lennon.

Putting this data into perspective I interviewed 50 random people on the street (that were old enough to have knowledge of both events) and asked them - "If you had a time machine, and were able to go back and stop either Pearl Harbor or the Assassination of John Lennon - which would you stop?"

Results:
Pearl Harbor - 14
Lennon Assas.- 36

Not sure what this means as it pertains to society - I don't know if this is interesting, or if I'm just telling people something they already know. What do you think?

P.S. Interview footage coming soon

No comments:

Post a Comment